The rules are simple:
Eat only natural food that is produced locally. If not local, then from your district. Eat seasonally. Spices, tea and coffee are the only items that should have a passport...

Easy food takes less than 30 minutes to make but is nutritious as well as delicious. The longer you cook food, and the more you change it, the unhealthier it becomes.
You shouldn't buy processed food and you certainly should make it!


Feel free to use these recipes for yourself, but please don't copy them or add them to another blog, etc. Please don't copy any photos.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Horseradish

Have you ever tried fresh horseradish? I found it about a month ago at my local vegetable shop. One of the reasons I like the shop is they have a lot of unusual things not normally grown in Japan.

I'd eaten horseradish from a jar, or as a powder that was made into a paste, same as mustard, but never fresh. You really should try it because the flavor is SO good!

I grated it and put it on the top of beef. Just beef and horseradish - no salt or sauce was necessary. I can understand why it is called Western wasabi in Japanese, because the heat is felt in your nose, rather than in your mouth like chili pepper. 

Dinner was just the beef, roasted tomatoes and "bunapi" mushrooms and negi leek sauteed in olive oil. I cooked the mushrooms/leek first, then the beef after that. The oil in the pan was enough so I didn't add more for the beef.


No comments:

Post a Comment